Thursday, July 9, 2020

Minor Tweaks

It's been difficult, what with the pandemic and all, to get games going. So I've gone back and revamped a few older decks. 

First up: Push the Fader, a Wildfire deck using Parallax Tide to keep my lands in play.

The problem: Zuberas (Burning-Eye and Rushing-Tide, respectively).


The Phoenix comes back post Wildfire, the God doesn't die to Wildfire. They both meet the Hexdrinker rule, which is critical here.

3 Izzet Signet
2 Mind Stone

2 Covetous Dragon
3 Surveilling Sprite
3 Rekindling Phoenix
3 God-Eternal Kefnet
2 Wurmcoil Engine

4 Parallax Tide

3 Shock
3 Prophetic Bolt
1 Incinerate
2 Opt
1 Magma Jet

5 Island
2 Izzet Boilerworks
4 Cascade Bluffs
4 Seat of the Synod
5 Mountain
3 Great Furnace

4 Wildfire
1 Ponder

Really polishing it up would mean cutting Ponder and Magma Jet for a third Opt and second Incinerate, just for consistency. That might be wise, just to see if I can take advantage of God-Eternal Kefnet's ability more. But I do like where this deck is at now, far more than I did. 

Next up, Disposable Heroes. 

The problem: High CMC creatures (specifically Dawn Elemental) and no removal. 

The solution: Copies of Swallow Whole

2 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
3 Devoted Retainer
2 Elite Vanguard
2 Soltari Foot Soldier
1 Soltari Priest
4 Celestial Crusader
1 Paladin en-Vec
3 Order of the White Shield
2 White Knight
2 Mystic Crusader
2 Skyhunter Skirmisher
3 Benalish Marshal

4 Light from Within

4 Sheltering Light
3 Swallow Whole

4 New Benalia
18 Plains

I think Swallow Whole is an underrated removal spell: it's a better Devouring Light as far as I'm concerned. With the high volume of creatures in Disposable Heroes, the additional cost isn't a problem.

Noah suggested Benalish Hero and with the cards I have with protection from red or black, this could be remarkably beneficial. Heck, once I drop a Light from Within, distributing damage how I choose could be a huge trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment