Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Slip It Up

Rollin vs UB Torpor Orb

"It dies to Humility, though," Matt told me a couple weeks ago.

"I'm not going to give up on a deck because of one card out of 20,000, man," I replied. (I was also aware that Overwhelming Splendor did this, but my statement still held).

Well. Jason was about to teach me a lesson. Both in the number of cards that blanks my deck, and the importance of having a sideboard.

Of the three decks Jason decided at random to throw against me one had Humility. That was a loss that I expected, and though I am running Disenchants in the sideboard, it was good practice to play without them, looking at mulligans, play paths, etc. 

The second deck was a creature focused one using the Exalted mechanic which I pulled wins out of, essentially through the attrition gameplan. 

But the third deck had Torpor Orb. I love that card. But also, that card is bad for me when staring down a Phyrexian Dreadnought.

So there is a third card that makes Rollin have a fit. Does this mean I should deviate from my deck? No, I'm definitely sure of that. In both of the games that I lost, a Disenchant would have likely turned the game in my favor. 

Another card that might've changed things? Duress. Which I am not running, because I thought that doubling down on graveyard hate would be better, adding Consecrate/Consume in my sideboard. However, Duress would be good both in the 'weird' matchups as well as any combo matches, trying to whittle at their resources. 

I'm pleased to say that Winds of Abandon has been solid, and the addition of Brightclimb Pathway was outstanding. The new Zendikar lands are, in my opinion, must-haves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment