Thursday, May 25, 2023

You Can't Depend On Intelligence

So the first iteration of Busload of Faith involves taking out the Tribal Forcemages, the Viridian Zealots (they're SB cards), and a Selesnya Guildmage. 

In their place come a Fyndhorn Elves, Joraga Warcaller and three Leaf-Crowned Visionary. I heard you like lords, so I got lords for your lords.

At this point, it was to the simulator at deckstats.net to see how things stacked up. The answer, unfortunately, was 'not well'. 

First, the manabase is skewed too heavily towards white for the current build. Second, there didn't seem to be enough mana-despite 22 lands plus five mana dorks. These issues played into each other, yes but even so, this was absurd. 

Nonetheless I was surprised, because the curve on this deck looks good: 11 cards at two and 11 at three mana, with a total of 7 cards above five mana. It seemed like I should be able to play games!  

Cutting more creatures would leave me with 24 slots left, but they would also give me a chance to shore up a part of the deck I am concerned about: the removal suite. For three mana or less, I should have a lot of options in White to rid myself of creatures or planeswalkers-and planeswalkers are definitely a concern. 

Ossification and Borrowed Time are possibilities, but I've talked up Fateful Absence in the past, maybe it's time to see if that card can shine!

I really wish Green's removal suite was a bit more...helpful. Fight is just so on theme for the color, but it's slow and reliant on another card so it just never quite makes the cut.

You know what I'd like: a card that can get a Planeswalker to fight. The search suggests a creature can only fight other creatures, but why not get fights via loyalty? 

It still doesn't solve the problem, but from a flavor perspective it's cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment