Tuesday, May 30, 2023

You Can't Depend On An End

There's a pretty basic question to ask here: Why not just do what the other Elves deck do? And I suppose "I don't wanna" is as good an answer as any. But it also begs the next questions: So what are you going to do with all that mana? 

The answer, I thought, was Joraga Warcaller. Why not dump 7 mana into making everything +3? Seems good, right?

Except doing that doesn't just win the game in the same way that an Elves deck that drops Craterhoof Behemoth into play just wins. But buying a $30+ card is not where I want to be. For fun, I've looked at White cards with X in the casting cost and the one that seems like it has a lot of potential is Starnheim Unleashed. I realize that I'm definitely pushing the Glory of Cool Things with this one but the potential to create 3 4/4 fliers for the same amount of mana as a 4/4 Warcaller seems like it'd be good and give me a win condition, if everything gets bound up on the ground. 

Who expects fliers out of an elves deck? Plus, if the board gets wiped, even three mana nets me a flier that can help me get back into the game from the Foretold effect.

I've also decided to take a risk on Fateful Absence and so far, it's been solid. Yes, my opponents can get a draw out of the card but if that's how they end up spending their mana, all the better for me. I can spend my time proactively working the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment