Thursday, May 11, 2023

Abominus: Gestalt

Reflecting on the decklist I was one thing I can say that I'm pleased about is that it IS pretty focused. Multiple copies of cards, not a lot of filler, and I can tell that there is a theme that it wants to adhere to. 

And then there's Herald of Serra

In addition, Abominus wants to focus a recursion that is very mana intensive. Most of the cards want to bring creatures from the graveyard to my hand. While that isn't all bad, it doesn't mesh well with an Agent of the Fates concept. Cutting 10 cards and swapping 10 in isn't the way. Even if the themes are starting to cozy up.

So what to do?

Maybe something like this:

Abominus

2 Sheoldred, Whispering One
4 Grief
4 Solitude
4 Agent of the Fates
3 Doomed Traveler
3 Shambling Ghast
2 Adarkar Valkyrie
2 Martyr of Dusk

3 Feign Death
3 Undying Evil
3 Village Rites
1 Blessed Defiance
3 Path to Exile

3 Orzhov Basilica
7 Plains
6 Swamp
4 Isolated Chapel
3 Phyrexian Tower

That is quite a leap from the original. 

If you've been following a long for awhile and have a pretty good memory, you might see a resemblance between this and the B/W Scam deck I was running in March. That's because this was the template I built it off of.

(I'm trying to get caught up with some decks so apologies for some wayback machine moments.)

Since then, I've refined a few things and learned from the experience of being in tournaments. The deck looks like this now:

4 Grief

4 Solitude

4 Agent of the Fates

3 Shambling Ghast

3 Phalanx Leader

3 Hunted Witness

2 Flickerwisp

2 Massacre Girl


3 Feign Death

3 Undying Evil

3 Path to Exile

3 Ephemerate


3 Orzhov Basilica

7 Plains

6 Swamp

4 Isolated Chapel

3 Phyrexian Tower


This list also isn't quite accurate. I've been testing Drivnod, Carnage Dominus and a Liesa, Forgotten Archangel in the Flickerwisp slots. So far, it's been interesting, though Drivnod has mostly generated some rules questions than expected-but the 8/3 was also a body my opponent couldn't ignore. That didn't suck!


I like where it's at for now, with the acknowledgement that it's been a bit depowered. There's still a deck here, and I'm enjoying it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment