Thursday, May 27, 2021

Maybe Not Today...

...maybe not tomorrow, but eventually, Grist, the Hunger Tide is going to cause problems. (Credit to Day 9 for the spoiler.)

I say this because years ago on the Mothership, Mark Rosewater was asked why they didn't include Artifact as part of Karn Liberated's types, back in the day. Of course, I can't find it now...but the answer went: it would create huge problems for the game. Which makes some sense: being able to Tinker for Karn Liberated wouldn't create fun play experiences. 

Now, New Phyrexia was printed 10 years ago, and a great deal has changed in Magic, not least of which being the approach we have to Planeswalkers and our available answers. 

But a three mana Planeswalker that has a creature type everywhere BUT the battlefield? This opens up a truly absurd level of interactions, including the ability to be a Commander

Do I think this is bad? No. It's the kind of rules complexity I would expect from a set like Modern Horizons 2 and if they didn't provide some truly pushed cards that would be disappointing. I think it's interesting and it doesn't want to be an issue! 

Buuuuuuuuuut I think Grist will cause problems eventually. How soon, I don't know: I certainly hope it's down the line a bit. Having a Hogaak level card (one that is clearly broken and exceptional for a deck type) isn't good. 

But one that players break in a year? Yeah, that's fine. 

On the other hand, I really, really like the designs for Astor and the Underworld Cookbook. Top notch work there. Interesting, flavorful and seems like there's interesting ways to use those cards without them making a mess of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment