Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Punisher and Swordsman

Black Wind Fire & Steel vs Mono W Knights

I'm starting to wonder if I'm looking at things a little backwards.

Embercleave is a great card. Traditionally, one wants to play four copies of their great cards.

But Embercleave is also sitting dead in my hand, because I have so many removal spells. So; swap some removal spells for creatures!

....Now I can't get rid of enough creatures. 

Or at least, I couldn't when playing against Fuz's White Knights deck. This might've been just a match of bad beats, but only one of my eight removal spells showed up over two games, and up against Knight Exemplar, removal is important, because what I don't have is creatures with evasion, nor any manner to remove Anthem effects.

Perhaps Matt was correct and I would just be better off with card draw spells? The pickings are slim for ones that fit into this deck, though.

Further tests emphasized the importance of mulliganing: if I don't have a turn one play, it's or a clear path for turns 2-3, then it's likely I need to ship it back. I took note of this, especially after watching PVDDR's video on the subject. The power curve for BWF&S isn't really high, so I need to take advantage of its speed.

Now, in subsequent games against Jason and Fuz, I did much better in my attempt to make sure I got going faster than my opponent. I'm still not sure if this is in the best spot, but the games I've played have still been interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment